I made these yesterday for Sunday dinner with some friends. Aren't they SUPER CUTE?!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, knocking out simple desserts that you can make super elegant with a couple of easy twists. My wife made this Lime Posset for a party a few years ago and I was HOOKED.
The lime juice in the recipe actually thickens the heavy cream (much like yogurt) and creates a custard-like consistency with no eggs to worry about accidentally cooking like you would have with custard. There is also no actual baking involved. I'm hooked.
Makes 4 servings
- 1/34 Cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice (about 5 limes)
- zest of one lime
- 1/2 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out.
- raspberries for garnish
- mint leaves for garnish
1. Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla bean (pod and seeds) In a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Drop the heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened (about 3 minutes).
3. Stir in the lime juice and keep cooking for 5 more minutes.
4. Pour equal parts into serving cups (wine glasses or plastic Margarita glasses work well_. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until set. Overnight is best.
5. Just before serving, garnish with 3-4 raspberries and a sprig of mint, zest with a bit of lime.