July 4th and the fireworks that come with it is fun for humans, but really scary for dogs. The good thing is, we know that fireworks are coming the evening of July 4th, so we can prepare now to keep our furry friends safe and happy.
Good Morning America has shared these tips to help you prepare for an easier fireworks weekend with your pup...
- Create a sense of calmness and compete with the noise by turning on a radio or television.
- Place a cotton ball in their ears while the fireworks go on (just remember to take them out!)
- Stay with your pet or have a family member or friend dog-sit for the day to give them a sense of security.
- Take your dog out on a leash when they need to use the bathroom so they are not alone and cannot run away at the noise of fireworks.
- Play fetch with them (not outside), put on some relaxing music, and reward them with treats.
- Most importantly, keep them far away from the fireworks show!