So cool to have one of my chef heroes, Chef John from Foodwishes.com, hanging out on the podcast and showing us how to make the perfect quick pan sauce. This pan sauce is the bottom building block of just about any pan sauce you want to make! Add some shallots, add different herbs, a bit of fruit jam, the world is your oyster!
Check out the podcast here:
You can follow along with the recipe here:
Chicken Thighs and a Simple Pan Sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken thighs
1/2 cup White wine (sub 2 tbsp to 1/4 vinegar of your choice)
1/2-1 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp butter cut into chunks
1 pinch of minced herbs of your choice. Tarragon works really well with chicken but it can be thyme, rosemary, oregano. Your call).
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper and let sit in a bowl on the counter for 60 minutes before cooking.
- Put pan on medium heat and add olive oil. Heat until shimmering.
- Brown chicken thighs and cook through. Then turn off the heat. Transfer chicken to a holding plate.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Save on the side as needed.
- Turn heat back on to medium and add white wine to deglaze. If you want a more acidic sauce, sub in 2tbsp to 1/4 cup vinegar
- Keep on heat to reduce liquid by 2/3
- Before your acid completely evaporates, add 1/2 to 1 cup chicken stock. Turn up the heat as needed and reduce by 1/2.
- Turn off the heat and add butter in small chunks.
- Using a spoon or just by swirling the pan, emulsify the butter into the sauce(I like to use a spoon for more control). This should thicken it up and make it silkier.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add your pinch of minced herbs. Add your chicken back to the pan if it needs a little reheat.
- Plate chicken on a WARM plate, surround it with sauce, and serve.